Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Oral Cancer: Is it Being Overlooked?


When people hear the word cancer I think that only the most common cancers come to mind such as breast, lung, prostate, skin etc. However not too often does one hear about oral cancer, including myself.
That thought changed for me when I had a recent visit to my dentist he suggested that I have a screening for oral cancer. Not thinking that I was at any risk since I thought it was linked mostly with smokers I declined. He didn't seem to push the screening, which basically only consisted of using a special light to look at cells in your mouth, cheek and throat. So when he walked away I picked up the brochure that he left behind and started reading some interesting facts about oral cancer and then realized that maybe I needed to get screened.
I believe when a screening is offered and if it will make a dramatic difference in the outcome, then it should strongly be considered. It can save your life.

2 comments:

John said...

HOW TRUE, How True!! I only wish that my Dentist would have been so proavtive. It may have been either prevented or at least would not have to go through all that I am now.


John
http://www.surviving-oral-cancer.com/

Martin said...

Hi,

Thanks for the sharing..

Martin
http://healthtipszone.com